Announcing the GIAHS FORUM 2013 - “Contribution of Agricultural Heritage toward a sustainable world”
Around the world a myriad of family and community managed agricultural systems that are humanity’s common heritage. Over centuries, generations of farmers and herders have developed complex, diverse and locally adapted agricultural systems, managed with time-tested, ingenious combinations of techniques and practices that lead to biodiversity conservation, food security, resilience of ecosystems and their provision of essential goods and services for humanity.
The GIAHS Global Partnership Initiative, in collaboration with the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries (MAFF) and Ishikawa Prefectural Government of Japan will hold the 4th International Forum on Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) from 29 May to 1 June 2013, in Ishikawa Prefecture, Japan. Within this Forum, a High Level Session will be organized aimed at discussing and providing public with a better understanding of the agricultural heritage concept and raising awareness about evolving traditional systems and sustainable management of natural resources that contributes to world food security.The International Forum on GIAHS is held every other year to share and exchange knowledge and experiences on dynamic conservation approaches, engaging stakeholders both from public and private sectors, in stewardship of resilient and unique agricultural systems.
This year, under the proposed theme of ‘Contribution of Agricultural Heritage to a Sustainable World’ the Forum specifically aims at:
- Bringing together International, national and local partners, policy-makers, representatives of civil society, farming communities, scientists, research institutions and intergovernmental and development cooperation agencies to exchange knowledge and best practices on evolving agricultural heritage systems from different continents and countries and to take stock of lessons learned;
- Providing elements for the systematic sustainable and innovative management of GIAHS Partnership programme, promoting effective partnerships and networking with relevant organizations, institutions and related initiatives;
- Conducting a High Level Session featuring Ministers, major UN and international organizations’ officials and distinct panel of experts;
- Conducting Ishikawa’s Public Forum
- Visiting and experiencing Japan’s agricultural heritage, the Noto’s Satoyama and Satoumi, Sado Island, an epitome of a GIAHS.
Registration will open in the beginning of April 2013. Further information can be found at the forum website.
For inquiries, please email email@example.com
FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE FILES BELOW