NANSIS is a Survey Information System for logging, editing and analysis of biological and environmental data from marine research surveys.
The first NANSIS version, designed for the DOS environment, was developed by Dr Tore Strømme of the Institute of Marine Research (IMR) of Bergen, Norway for use in connection with fisheries surveys conducted with the Norwegian research vessel Dr Fridtjof Nansen. The software has been used by many fisheries scientists in developing countries for well over 20 years. With the rapid technological advances that has occurred since this system was developed, it became necessary to develop a windows version, also expanded to meet modern scientific data storage and retrieval needs.
NANSIS for WINDOWS
The new WINDOWS 1.6 version of NANSIS is now available. The development of this new version has been an activity under the EAF-Nansen project (Strengthening the Knowledge base for and Implementing an Ecosystem Approach to Marine Fisheries in Developing Countries) - a partnership between Norad, FAO and IMR.
NANSIS for WINDOWS Key features
- Main database: Postgres SQL for safe storage of data and linking with other databases;
- Track log module: for logging and visualization of continuously recorded data, weather stations, GPS and echosounder data;
- Bridge log module: vessel activity diary;
- Nansis main window for work with survey data including:
- Initialization of new surveys
- Data punching modules for data collected during research surveys
- Reporting system of collected data
- Scripting module and Nansis Post Processing
- Nansis Map tool: data visualization and biomass estimation;
- Nansis briefcase: transfer of data between two databases;
- Spread sheet like export facilities to link up with other analytical and map software;
- Nansis help menu for installation and use of all modules in the system.
NEW key features of version 1.6
- Support for 32 and 64 bit version of windows 7
- Upgrade and Support for postgres 9.0
- Easier postgres and Nansis installation
- True stand alone operation where all Nansis programs can run on one computer connected with GPS and / or echosounder allowing the program to run in field work situations where no network solution is possible
- Drop down boxes in the trawl catch punching form to allow for easier data punching
- New survey initiation menu and survey participant registration form
- Export of survey metadata
- Export of KML data from Maptool
- New image export formats in Maptool
- Depth contour creation, editing and deletion in Maptool
- Scalable data points in Maptool
- Export of time series of trawl catch data “numbers in millions” per survey or region for analyses of abundance time series in Nansis Post processing
- Export option for data to PasGear for analyses of catch rates, biodiversity indexes etc.
- Updated help menu
- Minor program improvements
Operating System: Windows XP, 9x
Free Space for Nansis Installation: 500MB
Free Space for Postgres Installation: 600MB
RAM: 512MB and Above
To help users get conversant with the software and to discover its power, a one-week training course has been developed for training of scientists and cruise participants from developing countries. The EAF-Nansen project is offering the training with the collaboration of GEF-assisted Large Marine Ecosystem and other regional fisheries projects in Africa.
The NANSIS for WINDOWS software is available for free and can be downloaded through the EAF-Nansen website FTP and/or from the IMR NANSIS page (http://www.imr.no/forskning/bistandsarbeid/nansis/nansis/en).