Third Euro-Asian Mountain Resorts Conference
From: 05.04.2017 to: 06.04.2017
The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), Government of Georgia and Georgian Mountain Resorts Development Company will host the third Euro-Asian Mountain Resorts Conference in Tbilisi, Georgia on 5-6 April 2017. Under the title “Innovative Strategies for Sustainable Mountain Tourism Development”, international experts will discuss current and future challenges, illustrate success stories and create a platform for exchange of innovative initiatives.
Pursuant to the previous two editions of the Euro-Asian Mountain Resorts Conference held in Almaty, Kazakhstan in 2013 and Ulsan, Republic of Korea in 2015, and taking into consideration the context of the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development, the third Conference aims at:
• identifying the current environmental, structural and market-oriented challenges in mountain destinations and exploring the opportunities to maximize the economic potential and social change for the local communities through a sustainable mountain tourism development and management;
• understanding the need to develop a “mountain tourism culture” for stimulating activities in these areas as well as encouraging entrepreneurs to invest in mountain tourism;
• creating a platform among all relevant partners for dialogue and to exchange experience and expertise as regards the mature mountain destinations of Western Europe and the new developments in East Europe and Asia; and
• exploring the current and future trends regarding the behaviour patterns of the mountain visitors and the possibilities for attracting the niche markets through innovative products and experiences.
The Conference will focus on the following issues:
• the future of mountain tourism (market trends, challenges, seasonality, sustainability issues: e.g. climate change);
• integrated land use, infrastructure and transport planning for mountain destinations, operational structures and models (e.g. public-private partnerships);
• investment policies, incentive models and instruments to attract investors and entrepreneurs, governance and regulation;
• diversified products and experiences (e.g. sports events) to improve the competitive advantage; and
• innovative practices for marketing use of IT and smart devices, safety and security standards.
To receive regular updates on the Conference, please contact Mr Sascha Stange at email@example.com
See the official programme