The Land and Water Division of the Natural Resources Management and Environment Department of FAO launches the first version of the GAEZ data portal, which is part of the organization's strategic objectives to ensure that member countries have sufficient, reliable information and knowledge on sustainable management of natural resources for food and agriculture in support of policy decisions at all scales. Moreover, it will strengthen the organization's mission to improve data collection and dissemination for development and the fight against global hunger and malnutrition. The GAEZ data portal provides free and easy access to data and information. It contains many features and capabilities including:
- Browsing, querying and visualizing spatial datasets;
- Search by free text, theme, crop, input level, water supply, time period, country and region;
- Navigation, pan, zoom, identify by location spatial datasets;
- Analysis and charting tools for tabular data;
- Preparation of maps and reports for different maps and variables;
- Download spatial, tabular, and metadata option for fast extraction of data and user friendly interface.
GAEZ data portal version 3.0 is released on May 25, 2012. It includes thousands of spatial datasets and tabular information. GAEZ database will be continuously improved and updated as new datasets become available. The GAEZ data portal is designed as a dynamic system that continues to be updated. Users feedback in regards to the content of functionality of the GAEZ data portal and database is appreciated. Please feel free to send your feedback and contact us at GAEZ@fao.org