GAEZ - Global Agro-Ecological Zones

All Categories > GAEZ Forum > Issues on the use of the Web site and Data Portal > different levels of inputs/management for agro-climatic yields
Total Posts: 2 - Pages (1): [1]
Author: margherita.sini
Posted: 18 déc. 12 - 05:00
Subject: different levels of inputs/management for agro-climatic yields
One of the GAEZ users is asking the following:

I have a question about how different levels of inputs/management are considered to determined agro-climatic yields.
For agro-edaphic suitability, the documentation files state a clear formula, according to which nutrient availability (nutrient retention capacity) is considered for the low (high) inputs measure.
For the effect of low/high inputs on agro-climatic yield, the only info I have found is that "numerical values of crop parameters are varied depending on the assumed input/management level"; in particular, they give different values to the "harvest index" (yield efficiency) and "maximum leaf area index" (density of plants). Could I possibly get more detailed information about how this parametrization is done for different levels of input/management?
Author: margherita.sini
Posted: 18 déc. 12 - 05:02
Subject: re: different levels of inputs/management for agro-climatic yields
here is the reply from Mr FISCHER Guenther:

Input level plays a role at different stages of the crop assessment and occurs at several places in the model documentation. A short introduction to the interpretation of input levels is in Section 4.2 (p. 37/3 of the online documentation. Below is a list of items where input level matters for crop evaluation and an indication where to find information in the model documentation:

1) Biomass parameters: harvest index and maximum leaf area index (Appendix 4-6)
2) Agro-climatic constraints: Appendix 5-1
3) Soil suitability assessment: Appendix 6-1 to 6-5
4) Terrain slope suitability: Appendix 6-6
5) Fallow requirements: Section 6.8 and Appendix 6-7
6) Production from water-collecting sites: Section 6.9
7) Irrigation suitability: Section 6.1.2, Table 6-1
Total Posts: 2 - Pages (1): [1]
You must login to post a message to this conference.

To access the Forum you need to be authenticated.

If you are not already registered, please, send the request to

User Login

Connexion utilisateur

Veuillez entrer votre nom d'utilisateur et votre mot de passe pour vous connecter sur le site.
Nom d'utilisateur:
Mot de passe:

Rice terraces. Indonesia. ©FAO/Roberto Faidutti / FAO
Dominant land cover pattern. GAEZ. ©FAO/IIASA
Input supply to vulnerable populations under the ISFP. Kenya. ©FAO/Sarah Elliott / FAO
Thermal zones. GAEZ. ©FAO/IIASA
Close up of apples, limes, oranges and tomatoes on sale at a local market in Nepal. ©FAO/Giampiero Diana / FAO
Aggregate crop yield in 2000. GAEZ. ©FAO/IIASA
Harvesting rice in east Java. Indonesia. H. Null / FAO
Dominant land cover pattern. GAEZ. ©FAO/IIASA
Flood recession rice fields. Cambodia. ©FAO/ Giuseppe Bizzarri/ FAO
Access Data Portal

Get Connected!
Twitter    RSS
Share me: