Español || Français
      AQUASTAT Home        About AQUASTAT     FAO Water    Statistics at FAO

Featured products

Main Database
Dams
Global map of irrigation areas
Irrigation water use
Water and gender
Climate info tool
Institutions

Geographical entities

Countries, regions, river basins

Themes

Water resources
Water uses
Irrigation and drainage
Wastewater
Institutional framework
Other themes

Information type

Datasets
Publications
Summary tables
Maps and spatial data
Glossary

Info for the media

Did you know...?
Visualizations and infographics
SDG Target 6.4
KWIP
UNW Briefs
     

Read the full profile

Afghanistan

Water use

In 1998, total water withdrawal was estimated at 20.373 km3, of which 20.0 km3 or 98 percent was for agriculture, 1 percent for municipal and 1 percent for industrial purposes (Table 5 and Figure 1). Of total water withdrawal 17.317 km3 or 85 percent was from surface water sources and the remainder 3.056 km3 or 15 percent from groundwater (Figure 2) (Rout, 2008). In 1987, total water withdrawal was an estimated 26.11 km3 of which 25.8 km3 or 99 percent for agricultural purposes.






Referring to the Government of Afghanistan’s 1980s yearbook statistics, the total annual groundwater extraction amounted to some 3 km3 (Favre and Kamal, 2004). Uhl and Tahiri (2003) estimated groundwater withdrawal for irrigation to be 2.8 km3/year.

Historically, groundwater withdrawal has been largely limited to water from shallow unconfined aquifers abstracted using karez and traditional wells from which water is drawn using animal power (arhad). More recently, deeper confined aquifers are being developed for domestic and municipal water supply using modern well-drilling techniques (Rout, 2008).

     
   
   
             

^ go to top ^

       Quote as: FAO. 2016. AQUASTAT website. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Website accessed on [yyyy/mm/dd].
      © FAO, 2016   |   Questions or feedback?    [email protected]
       Your access to AQUASTAT and use of any of its information or data is subject to the terms and conditions laid down in the User Agreement.