1. Technical backstopping of field projects relating to agricultural water management in the 16 countries of the sub-region; Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Eritrea, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
2. Identification and formulation of agricultural water management projects in response to the needs of countries in the sub-region.
3. Promotion of Conservation Agriculture techniques throughout the sub-region and support National Conservation Agriculture Task Forces.
4. Identification of irrigation training needs and the design and delivery of appropriate courses.
5. Technical advice to the development and management of smallholder irrigation schemes and the upscaling of micro-irrigation technologies.
6. Assistance with the development of policies and strategies relating to agricultural water management.
7. Identification of best practice in sustainable wetland management.
8. Support to water related activities of SADC (both the Food, Agriculture and Natural Resources Directorate and the Infrastructure and Services Directorate).
9. Participation in conferences, symposia, exhibitions and other events to promote good practice in agricultural water management.