FAO Communication for Development (ComDev) team provides advice and technical assistance to member countries to develop and implement effective communication strategies, methods, media, systems and services in support of sustainable agriculture, rural development and food security.
Key areas for technical assistance are:
- ComDev methods, tools and services for sustainable natural resources management, food security and climate change adaptation. The assistance is provided through the FAO’ Communication for Sustainable Development Initiative (CSDI) and the Italian Programme for Food Security in West Africa (FSCA).
- Community-based, interactive Rural Radio to enhance people’s involvement in programmes that address their own needs and development priorities.
- Rural Communication Systems that integrate the use of participatory communication methods, traditional and local media with modern technologies to address development issues in rural areas.
- Local appropriation of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) to enhance institutional linkages, stakeholder collaboration and farmers’ access to information and services. VERCON, RADCON and FARMNET are successful models that can be adapted to local context.
- Development and implementation of participatory communication policies and strategies to facilitate stakeholder dialogue and people’s participation.
For further information on FAO technical assistance in ComDev, please contact the FAO Office in your country or write to us at: ComDev@fao.org