The Partnership’s core membership referred to as “participants” is made up of those organizations that have recognized and adopted the principles set out in the Partnership Agreement, agreeing to pursue the goals and objectives of the project. This Partnership is founded on a voluntary and collaborative process between FAO and the three main stakeholder groups and is based on the principles of equity and balance of constituencies as underlined in the Partnership Agreement. Three stakeholder groups, the private sector, FAO member countries and non-governmental organizations form the basis of this initiative.
Private sector includes organizations (producer and processor organizations) engaged in the livestock supply chain representing various sub-sectors such as feed, pork, beef and lamb, poultry meat and eggs, and dairy.
There are currently 7 private sector organizations represented including:
- International Feed Industry Federation – IFIF
- European Vegetable Oil and Proteinmeal Industry – FEDIOL
- International Meat Secretariat – IMS
- International Egg Commission – IEC
- International Poultry Council – IPC
- International Federation for Animal Health – IFAH
- International Dairy Federation – IDF
Membership is open to any FAO member country. To-date 5 countries have joined the initiative:
- Republic of France
- Republic of Ireland
- Kingdom of the Netherlands
- Government of New Zealand
Given the global nature of the initiative, attempts will be made to broaden the participation of countries in this process.
The non-governmental organizations (NGO) and civil society organizations (CSOs) stakeholder group are currently represented by:
- World Wildlife Fund – WWF
- World Vision
- World Alliance of Mobile Indigenous Peoples – WAMIP
- International Planning Committee for food sovereignty – IPC
- International Union for Conservation of Nature – IUCN
There are 4 organisations represented as observers:
- International Organization for Standardization – ISO
- United Nations Environment Programme – UNEP
- International Wool and Textiles Organization – IWTO
- European Commission – EC
There are 8 organisations that signed the Partnership Agreement as participants:
- World Organisation for Animal Health – OIE
- Lalmoni Agro limited
- Young Naturalist Network
- Novus International, Inc.
- League for Pastoral Peoples and Endogenous Livestock Development (LPP)
- Carbon Trust
- Carbone Guinée
- VanDrie Group
Efforts will be made to extend participation to other NGOs and CSOs who share similar goals and objectives of the Partnership.