World Photography Contest
We are pleased to announce the winners of the International Year of the Potato World Photography Contest, Focus on a global food. We thank all who have helped celebrate the International Year by submitting their photographs to the Contest. The entries – received from 90 countries around the world – reflected on the many roles played by the potato in agriculture, the economy, food security, society and culture.
- 1st prize: Eitan Abramovich, Peru
"Harvest of native potatoes"
- 2nd prize: Pablo Balbontin, Spain
"The custodians of biodiversity"
- 3rd prize: Viktor Drachev, Belarus
"Belarus soldiers eat potatoes"
- 1st prize: Xi Huang, China
- 2nd prize: Dick Gerstmeijer, Netherlands
"Digging up potatoes"
- 3rd prize: Marlene Singh, Philippines
The Selection Panel was composed of:
- Chairman: NeBambi Lutaladio, IYP Coordinator
- Manuel Antonio Alvarez Espinal - Permanent Representative of Peru to FAO
- Lucy Conticello - Photo editor
- Adrian Evans - Director, Panos Pictures
- Steve McCurry - Photographer (Magnum Photos)
- Andrea Sonnino – Senior Agricultural Research Officer, FAO
- Maria Wood - Picture Editor, Time, Asia edition
- Francesco Zizola - Photographer (Noorimages)
Professional photographers category:
- 1st prize - US$4 000 and a Nikon D300 kit (D300 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6 ED VR lens)
- 2nd prize - US$2 000 and a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR lens
- 3rd prize - US$1 000 and a Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR lens
Amateur photographers category:
- 1st prize - $US2 000 and a Nikon D60 kit (D60 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G VR lens)
- 2nd prize - $US1 000 and a Nikon D40 kit (D40 body + AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 G II lens)
- 3rd prize - $US 500 and a Nikon Coolpix S600 camera