The 2nd international conference organized by the Alliance of Central Asian Mountain Communities (AGOCA) and Central Asian Mountain Partnership (CAMP) aimed to stimulate long-term cooperation and exchange of experience among communities and institutions in the mountain regions of the Alps, the Altai, the Caucasus, the Carpathians and Central Asia, as an input to the concept of the International Mountain Partnership.
General recommendations were established for strengthening the role of local (self-) governance though the exchange of experience among mountain regions, including:
• Decentralisation as a condition for local (self-) governance in the field of sustainable development;
• Importance of tolerance, cooperation and reliable dialogue structures in sustainable development;
• Role of local (self-) governance in sustainable socio-economic development;
• Role of local (self-) governance in the management of natural resources;
• Importance of information for local communities;
• Role of women in sustainable development;
• Role of Alliances/conventions in the political process.