Social Protection

On the path to universal coverage for rural populations - Removing barriers of access to social protection

Resource Type: Publication
Published: 20/12/2019

Poverty in rural areas is generated and exacerbated by highly heterogeneous employment arrangements; high levels of unemployment and underemployment; poor-quality and unproductive jobs; unsafe work and insecure income; lack of access to services; and exclusion based on gender, ethnicity, age and other determinants. Currently, only 45 percent of the global population is effectively covered by at least one social benefit, while the remaining 55 percent – some 4 billion people – are left unprotected (ILO, 2017). In many countries, including countries where agriculture is the main source of employment, social protection legislation explicitly excludes the rural population (agriculture workers, fishers, foresters and casual workers) and does not provide alternative schemes. The fight against poverty and extreme poverty continues to be related to addressing risks and vulnerabilities in rural areas and improving rural socio-economic conditions. 

PDF URL: http://www.fao.org/3/ca7246en/ca7246en.pdf

Card page: http://www.fao.org/documents/card/en/c/ca7246en