Participation in the 4th Subregional Office for Eastern Africa (SFE) Management Meeting
FAO Representatives and representatives of the Regional Economic Organizations, African Development Bank (IFIs) and the private sector. The meeting was opened by his Excellency Teferra Derebew, Minister for Agriculture and Rural Development.
• State of Food & Agriculture Sector in the Eastern Africa Region: issues and best practices.
• Priority Policy Issues and Challenges, with a focus on the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAAPD).
• Opportunities and Strategies.
• The FAO programme development : including presentations on Country Programming Framework (CPF) and subregional strategic planning.
• Planning issues and commonalities of priorities among the countries of the subregion.
SFE partners showed a strong commitment to work together and better coordinate their activities.
FAO’s comparative advantage in policy support
Partners recognized FAO’s leading role in agricultural related issues, in particular in the area of disaster risk management and policy advice. FAO should facilitate policy dialogue in the Subregion and become the focal point for subregional and regional initiatives, including in the context of The New Partnership for Africa's Development (NEPAD) and CAADP.
Country Programming Framework preparation
All FAORs of the subregion are strongly committed to preparing CPFs, being involved in the consultation process aimed at identifying FAO comparative advantages and priority areas for FAO assistance. Five out of eight countries have a CPF at various stages of preparation. Finally, planning documents are necessary to increase the opportunities for resource mobilization.
To strengthen FAORs’ capacities, they would need regular training on results-based management (RBM) before preparing their strategies for the United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF). More technical support in the preparation of the CPF and in resource mobilization is also needed.
Upon the specific request of the subregion, the Policy Assistance Support Service will provide direct support in the formulation of some CPFs.
See our projects on CAADP