||International Rice Commission (IRC)
|Sessions and documents
View documents of the International Rice Commission
Article of Constitution
The Conference, at its Fourth Session (1948), approved the establishment of the Commission and instructed the Director-General to proceed with its organization as soon as the required number of Member Governments had accepted the IRC Constitution formulated by the International Rice Meeting in Baguio (Philippines) in March 1948. The Constitution of the Commission came into force on 4 January 1949 and was amended in 1953, 1955, 1961, 1973 and 1982.
In 2013 the Committee adopted a Resolution in which it agreed to suspend all its activities and operations.
Rules of Procedure
Adopted at the First Session (1949). Amended at the Third (1952), Fourth (1954), Seventh (1960), the Special (1973) and Fifteenth (1982) Sessions.
View Constitution and Rules of Procedure.
To promote national and international action in matters relating to the production, conservation, distribution and consumption of rice. The Secretariat of the IRC has the following functions:
- Assemble, analyze and disseminate, through the FAO publications and other mediums, information on rice and related.
- Organize Regular Sessions of the Commission for member countries and partner institutions to review the emerging issues and recent achievements in scientific, technical and socio-economic matters relating to sustainable intensification of rice production and to provide opportunity for extensive interaction among national, regional and international institutions.
- Provide recommendations to the Members of the Commission, through the FAO Director-General, regarding necessary or desirable national and international actions as may appear to the Commission for the solution of issues and challenges to sustainable intensification of rice production.
- Undertake, where necessary and appropriate, co-operative projects to promote sustainable intensification of rice production.
Open to all Member Nations and Associate Members that accept the IRC Constitution in accordance with provisions of Article VIII thereof.
|Number of Members
|List of Members
- Burkina Faso
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Dominican Republic
- Iran (Islamic Republic of)
- Lao People's Democratic Republic
- Republic of Korea
- Sierra Leone
- Sri Lanka
- United Kingdom
- United States of America
- Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)
- Viet Nam
||English, French and Spanish
|Frequency of Sessions
||Normally one session every four years
||Plant Production and Protection Division (AGP)
International Rice Commission
|Pattern of sessions
||1949, 1950, 1952, 1954, 1956, 1958, 1960, 1962, 1964, 1966, 1968, 1972, 1973 (Special Session), 1977, 1982, 1985, 1990, 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006, 2012 and 2013 (Special Session)