WFD/TeleFood Planned Activities and Events
as of 30/09/07
1) Planned Events at HQ
- United Nations Women’s Guild of Rome (UNWG) WFD Poster Competition Display, Hall of Flags, 5-12 October.
- US Mission to the UN Agencies in Rome 5th Annual George McGovern WFD Lecture by Dr. Robert L. Thompson on “Top 10 Myths about International Agricultural Markets” 10 October, Iran Room.
- WFD Exhibit at the Atrium (Launch on 15 October at 11 am), 15-25 October
- Right to Food Week, 15-22 October, Espace Gabon.
- 100 Works of Art for the Right to Food: Exhibition of RUFA (Rome University of Fine Arts artists), 15-25 October, space in front of Flag Hall.
- WFD Main Ceremony on 16 October with two keynote speakers: President of the Federal Republic of Germany and President of the United Republic of Tanzania.
- HOS/G and Ministers participating in the Third National Conference Italy-Latin America and the Caribbean, Rome 16-17 October also invited, Plenary Hall.
- CSO Roundtable on The Right Way to Fight against Hunger, 16 October, Green Room
- UNWG Awards Ceremony for the Annual World Food Day Poster competition, 18 October, Green Room.
2) Planned activities in Rome and in Italy:
Due to the interest generated by the WFD/TFD theme of this year, “The Right to Food” the Italian WFD Committee has planned around 110 activities across the country, in almost all the regions. Main activities include:
- Gala Evening for TeleFood projects at 11th Siena Film Festival, 30 September, Siena.
- Regione Emilia-Romagna: “Cibo per Pensare & Pensare per Il Cibo”, 3 October, Bologna.
- FAO National Committee “Tira fuori il grano” on 13 October (a “percorso”of 8 stands from Ministry of Agriculture to FAO HQ).
- Run for Food Race in Padova, 14 October.
- World Food Day Concert for the fight against hunger in the world by the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma, under the High Patronage of the President of the Republic of Italy, Messa da Requiem, by Giuseppe Verdi, 14 October, Auditorium Conciliazione.
- Grandi Stazioni: 13 major railway stations; 600 million people (visitors) yearly. The WFD spot to be broadcast for 2 weeks: from 14 to 21 October and from 23 to 29 December in all the 13 major railway stations reaching about 25 million people from 5:00 am to 13:00 pm; broadcast will include the account number for TeleFood donations.
- Rome Film Fest from 18 to 27 October: one full page in their printed catalogue (13.000 copies) with WFD poster and indication of “Rome Film Fest supports FAO and its fight against hunger”. In addition, WFD video/spot will be shown on this occasion.
- WFD Symposium on theme in Perugia University, on 16 October.
- School competition awarding prizes, theatre show and round table, Regione Veneto, 16 October.
- 16th National Congress by Italian Society for Nutritional Sciences, in Bari on 18 October.
- Congress "Food Sovereignty, right to food and access to rural seeds" in Rome by Ascoli Piceno Province in collaboration with the Italian Committee for Food Sovereignty.
- Photo exhibition in Turin (during the whole month of October) on cooperation projects promoted by the Piemonte Region in Africa.
- FAO Staff Coop to organize a dinner dance in November and part of the proceeds will be donated to TeleFood projects.
- Workshop on the WFD theme "The right to food - right to food and food security for the North and the South: Knowledge and tastes”, Florence, 14 December.
- Concert ballet on the occasion of WFD to be donated by the Fondation Grecque pour l’Afrique with the participation of Nana Mouskouri, Charles Aznavour and Al Bano. (to be scheduled)
- Run for Food Race on 21 October, Stadio delle terme di Caracalla, Rome with Gruppo Sportivo Bancari Romani (GSBR) in collaboration with FAO, IFAD, WFP, BIOVERSITY INTERNATIONAL and the support of Comune di Roma which will:
- provide logistical support to the Run for Food,
- print and distribute the Run for Food posters,
- provide information on the Run for Food to local radio stations,
- include information on the Run for Food in the free handout “L’Evento” published by the Comune di Roma.
- host the Press Conference at the Musei Capitolini on 11 October.
- The FAO Staff Coop will organize an ethnic finger food fair and have a cultural presentation from 11.00hrs to13.00hrs. FAO, IFAD, WFP,
Bioversity International Management and staff as well as Permanent Representatives of member countries are invited to participate in the Run for Food Race.
- World-wide Candlelight Vigil on 22 October (a WFD/TFD Global Event)
- So far Appia (Samoa), Yokohama (Japan), Rome (Italy) and Lusaka (Zambia with the First Lady), Quito (Ecuador), Antananarivo (Madagascar) are confirmed. Expressions of interest received from other Southwest Pacific countries and the Caribbean.
- In Rome, the Comune di Roma will organize the event at the Colosseum which will be illuminated for this purpose.
3) Planned events outside Italy
- New York Ceremony: New York ceremony on 18 October in the ECOSOC Chamber and two Exhibits on the WFD theme and on the International Year of the Potato. A 16 minute monologue by an actress, Gabriele Loneck, will present the speeches and writings of Eleanor Roosevelt on Human Rights and the Right to Food.
- In Geneva, a WFD event will be organized on 17 October to focus on humanitarian assistance and the right to food.
- Hungary: 5 to 11 November, a thematic week to raise awareness on hunger and funds for TeleFood projects reaching 3.5 million people
- Austria Seminar on the WFD theme, 10 October
- Finland Seminar on the WFD theme, 12 October
- Ireland: Symposium on the WFD theme, 16 October
- Sweden: Symposium on the WFD theme, 18 October
- TeleFood Gala planned for the month of November. All partners like Grupo TeleFónica and Banesto confirmed their support for the 2007 campaign.
- The Liga de Fútbol Profesional Española (LFP) will dedicate two weeks to soccer games of the 1st and 2nd division (42 football teams) to raise awareness and funds through SMS. It would start on 16 October and end on Sunday 28 October with an event to be celebrated in Santiago Bernabeu Stadium in Madrid with the participation of the Spanish Government, the president of LFP, FAO Goodwill Ambassador and Real Madrid captain, Raúl and FAO.
- Ebay, a company which does auction sales “on line” (4 million hits per day just in Spain), would give support to the LFP/TeleFood project organising the bidding of signed football balls/t-shirts provided by the Spanish football clubs to raise funds for TFD.
- Orange España information and promotional material is being shown on their site will achieve approximately 11 million impressions in the period between September and February. Estimated cost: Euros 300 000.
- Colombia: Concert around WFD by the singer Fanny Lu. Information campaign is at the moment ongoing.
- El Salvador: the First Lady of El Salvador will include in her speech a section on the WFD theme on the occasion of the Summit of the First Ladies which will be held in San Salvador from 19 to 21 October; an Exhibition on WFD/TFD theme will be done.
- Cairo: Major WFD/TFD event with five components:
1) Fund-raising Gala Dinner on 31 October.
2) 10 day long of Arabic Music Festival starting on 1 November dedicated to FAO in the Cairo Opera House.
3) Concert by an Egyptian celebrity in the Opera House Gardens.
4) Sightseeing programme including visit of projects to attract participation of FAO, IFAD, and WFP staff as well as Permanent Representatives in Rome.
5) the WFD official ceremony, including seminars and exhibits.
- Mali: week long awareness and fund-raising campaign culminating with a mega concert in Bamako with eventually giant screens in big cities. Mega concert will feature FAO Goodwill Ambassadors Oumou Sangaré (lead), Miriam Makeba, Mory Kanté and Youssou N'Dour. Events were planned from 20 to 26 October, but has been postponed to first quarter of 2008.
4) Involvement of FAO Goodwill Ambassadors
- Roberto Baggio – Mission to Laos to visit FAO projects 3-5 September 2007 - Wide media coverage in Asia and Italy. RAI and local filming crew covered the event.
- Rita Levi Montalcini, Carla Fracci and Gina Lollobrigida confirmed as members of the Comitato d’Onore set up for the concert by the Orchestra Sinfonica di Roma (see above).
- Gina Lollobrigida – agreed to honour of her presence the event Run for Food Race: 21 October (Partenza)
- Miriam Makeba - Visit to DPR Congo requested by FAOR - Ms. Makeba has accepted to travel. Visit could take place between November 2007 and February 2008.
- Concert in Egypt - Participation by Magida Al Roumi for statements, testimonials and media encounters - Confirmation awaited.
- Event Lega Calcio Italiana – 28 January 2008
- Participation of Al Bano confirmed in the concert/ballet to be organized by the Greek Foundation for Africa (date to be determined).
- CD/DVD project by all FAO Goodwill Ambassadors - preparations ongoing. Have confirmed their participation: Dionne Warwick, Noa, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Massimo Ranieri, Mory Kanté, Magida al Roumi, Al Bano, Nazionale Italiana Cantanti, Oumou Sangaré, Miriam Makeba, Ronan Keating, Chucho Valdés.
- Roberto Baggio features FAO PSA.