Learn how good food can improve your health
Have you ever wondered if you are getting adequate nutrients from the food you eat?
21 Feb 2014 -Have you ever wondered if you are getting adequate nutrients from the food you eat? It is a common misconception that malnutrition means not getting enough food. This is, however, incorrect! People who take in insufficient food can be malnourished, but also those who consume too much face the same risks.
Malnutrition is defined as “An abnormal physiological condition caused by inadequate, unbalanced or excessive consumption of macronutrients and/or micronutrients. Malnutrition includes undernutrition and overnutrition as well as micronutrient deficiencies.” In other words, malnutrition, in fact, occurs when a person’s diet contains too few or too many nutrients. Any of us could suffer from malnutrition and not know it!
In order to have a healthy and balanced diet it is important to make the right choices, but often these choices are based on other factors than just nutrition: the availability and the cost of food; the taste and appearance; personal likes and dislikes; cultural practices and traditions.
There is no “ideal” diet that is right for everyone. Nutritional needs are specific to each individual, but everyone needs a diet that is balanced and includes a variety of foods that supply the different kinds and amounts of nutrients we need for good health.
While individual nutritional and dietary needs vary with age, sex, health, status and activity levels, most general dietary advice for adults recommends:
- Eating starchy carbohydrates as the basis of most meals.
- Eating fruits and vegetables as much as possible every day.
- Eating legumes regularly.
- Consuming milk and milk products regularly in small amounts.
- Eating meat, poultry, eggs and fish regularly within normal amounts.
- Choosing carefully the types of fats and oils in the diet and using limited amounts.
- Limiting consumption of sugar, sugary foods and beverages.
- Limiting consumption of salt.
- Limiting consumption of alcohol.
- Maintaining energy balance to keep a healthy body weight.
- Drinking plenty of water every day.
Are you interested in learning more about how to improve your diet and eating habits? Download the book here and share it with your friends and family!