9 - 13 September 2002
Eligibility for Education Grant – New Staff Regulation 301.3.35
1. Education grant is an entitlement which has been established to enable parents to educate their children in such a way that they do not become alienated from their national system of education and are able to fit naturally into the life of their own country, when they return to it, whether for further education, to take up employment, or in any other way to make a life for themselves.
2. At present, entitlement for education grant ceases upon death of the staff member. The Secretary-General of the UN has, however, recently issued and administrative instruction which states that, with effect from 1 February 2002, education grant (and travel) shall continue through to the end of the school year, should a staff member die during the course of the school year. It is proposed that FAO, within the overall limit of the cost of the entitlement under Staff Regulation 301.3.31, also adopt this policy. The above-mentioned proposal would not have any major cost implications for the Organization.
3. In order to implement this change, the Secretariat recommends the adoption of a new Staff Regulation 301.3.35 which should read as follows: ˇ°Eligibility for the grant under Staff Regulation 301.3.31 shall continue for the balance of the scholastic year in course, not exceeding one full scholastic year, when a staff member dies during the course of the school year.ˇ±
4. In view of the above-mentioned proposal, Staff Regulation presently number 301.3.35 should be re-numbered 301.3.36.
5. The Committee is invited to review the proposal under the terms of Rule XXVII.7(r) of the General Rules of the Organization, and submit it to the Council for approval.