COMMITTEE ON AGRICULTURE
Rome, 31 March-4 April 2003
Medium-Term Plan 2004-2009 (Planned Activities over the Period 2004-2009)
Item 4 of the Provisional Agenda
1. This second version of the revamped Medium-Term Plan (MTP), covering the 2004 - 2009 period, continues to translate the broad longer-term strategies in the FAO Strategic Framework 2000-2015 into a focused set of substantive priorities and programme activities. It is recalled that the medium-term plan is of a “rolling” nature, to be updated every two years to reflect evolving contexts.
2. While the MTP 2004-09 has already been considered by the FAO Council at its session of October-November 2002, it is the expectation of the Council that COAG review and make recommendations on the programme priorities falling under the purview of the Committee, which would be taken into account in the formulation of the Programme of Work and Budget 2004-2005.
3. In view of the broad sweep of the Committee's mandate, the entire MTP document has been provided. However, as usual, the Committee is invited to focus its attention more particularly on Part II, and within Part II the sections dealing with Major Programmes 2.1 and 2.2 (i.e. paragraphs 152 to 490) and Major Programme 2.5 (i.e. paragraphs 659 to 747). The Major Programme 3.1 on Policy Assistance may also be of interest. It may be noted that the introductory tables at the beginning of each programme establish the relationship between the MTP proposals and the Corporate Strategies and Strategic Objectives in the FAO Strategic Framework 2000-2015.
4. As explained at the beginning of Part II, the application of the new programming model endorsed by the FAO Conference implies that each programme comprises a number of “entities”. These entities are of three types: time-bound technical projects, continuing programme activities and technical services. Within each technical project or continuing programme activity, besides the rationale, the objective(s) and eventual indicators, a number of “major outputs” are identified. These major outputs will translate into more detailed biennial “outputs” in the Programme of Work and Budget.
5. A companion document (COAG/2003/4b) is also before the Committee, providing preliminary information on Programme of Work Proposals for 2004-05 under the Major Programmes 2.1, 2.2 and 2.5.
Priority Areas for Inter-Disciplinary Action
6. The Committee will also wish to note that Part I of the document contains updated plans under the sixteen “Priority Areas for Inter-Disciplinary Action” (PAIAs) identified in the previous MTP. These are as follows:
7. A number of entities and component activities under the Major Programmes falling under the purview of COAG will be of relevance and will contribute to these areas for inter-disciplinary action. Therefore, the Committee may also wish to address the corresponding section of the MTP document (paragraphs 90 to 151).