Dairy Farming Manual
What should you know about compost manure?
compost manure? (5-8)
1 You should
compost manure? (9-22)
2 Reasons for
using compost manure are:
you make compost manure?(23-30)
3 You should
know how to:
points about compost manure(31-36)
4 You should
What is compost manure?
Compost manure is:
- plant matter such as straws and forages which you do not use (residues) mixed with animal manure
- you can also add kitchen waste
- covered with straw to protect against the rain
- left for a few months
- micro-organisms break down the plant matter and manure and it becomes like humus
- and the compost manure gives nutrients easily to plants.
Why use compost manure?
Nutrients: it provides nutrients. 10 kg of manure contain:
- nitrogen N : 50 g
- phosphorus P : 25 g
- potassium K : 50 g
It also provides magnesium (Mg), calcium (Ca), sulphur (S) and copper (Cu) and returns organic matter to the earth.
|10 If you
have 2 cows, you get
- 50 kg of manure each day (25 kg each cow)
- 1,500 kg of manure each month
- 18,000 kg of manure each year
You also get manure from your calves.
|11 This manure
N P K
1 month 7.5 3.8 7.5 kg
1 year 90.0 45.0 90.0 kg
- and after mixing and storing with plant matter, more nutrients are available from the broken down plant matter as well.
Economy: it saves you money. Fertilizers are expensive.
100 kg of urea cost 500 mu
100 kg of triple superphosphate
cost 800 mu
|14 In one year, your 18 tons of compost manure from 2 cows has the same nutrients as 200 kg of urea and 100 kg of triple superphosphate.|
|15 You can
spread your compost manure twice a year on 6-7 rai of cash and forage
- you do not need to buy chemical fertilizer.
|16 How much money do you save?|
Health and hygiene:
hygiene and health.
|18 This farmer
removes the manure and makes compost manure:
- he has clean,
dry and healthy animals
20 If you use only manure for compost, it is too wet and heavy.
|21 Cow manure
and straw make a good compost manure and also kitchen waste.
|22 Good compost
manure improves the soil's:
- ability to hold water.
can you make compost manure?
You can make compost manure in a heap. This is simple but you waste a lot of material.
You can also make compost manure in a shallow pit. You waste less material but removal of the compost manure is difficult.
Make a frame.
1. You need many pieces of bamboo, wood or other building material
- 1.5 m long.
2. Nails or string for fixing.
How can you fill the frame?
|24 Spread a thick layer (25 cm) of straw in the bottom of the first box.|
|25 Fill manure evenly on top of straw (until the manure covers the straw).|
26 Spread a new, thinner layer of straw (10 cm) over the manure again.
Mix the straw by fork into the manure.
27 Keep on filling up the frame with layers of manure and straw.
Make sure there is no thick layer of manure or straw, where the two are not mixed together.
|28 You can
fill the first box in a few months.
Cover the heap with straw to protect against rain.
Leave for at least 4-6 weeks before using.
|29 Fill up the second box in the same way while you use material from the first box.|
you use the compost manure?
30 The compost manure becomes warm and begins to break down.
You can use it after 2 months if it is the planting season and you need it as fertilizer.
After 6-8 months it is like humus and this is the best time to use it.
You can use it after 8 months but it gets weaker with age.
If the heap is too wet and compact, it will not break down:
- add more straw.
| 32 If
the heap is too dry and loose, it will not break down:
- add water.
If you allow urine to run away, you lose nitrogen and potassium:
- you can put dry straw or dry soil in the gutter to absorb the urine
- bring the manure and the soil or straw soaked with urine to the heap
- add the mixture to the top of the heap
- make sure you have enough straw in the heap to absorb the urine
the heap with a layer of straw.
36 Do not leave manure in the air and sunlight:
- it will lose nitrogen.