Digital Villages in Action in Europe and Central Asia
Virtual Event, 18/05/2023
FAO, along with its partners in Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Türkiye, and Uzbekistan, is taking action to accelerate the digital transformation of agriculture and rural areas through the Digital Villages Initiative (DVI).
Join us for the “Digital Villages in Action in Europe and Central Asia” virtual event, where we will launch DVI actions in eight countries, bringing together policy actors, stakeholders, partners, and beneficiaries. The event will be held on Zoom on 18 May 2023, from 09.30 to 12.00 (CEST) with English-Russian interpretation.
DVI is a corporate initiative of FAO that aims to convert at least 1000 villages around the world into Digital Villages. With DVI, FAO is supporting a digital rural transformation process to address agrifood systems’ challenges and improve the livelihoods and resilience of rural communities.
The vision of DVI in Europe and Central Asia is to empower every rural community to utilize digital technologies, leveraging their local strengths. It takes a participatory approach, co-creating interventions with rural communities to enhance their capacities and build resilience, ensuring long-term sustainability. Additionally, DVI aims to foster linkages and cooperation across villages and institutions through "DVI twinning", encouraging the exchange of knowledge, best practices, and technology transfer at the national, regional or international level.
During this event, high-level officials and technical experts will share their vision for promoting DVI in their respective countries. Additionally, it will showcase past achievements, interim results, and best practices in digital agriculture that provide solid grounds for the implementation of DVI. The event will also feature a live session from the field in Uzbekistan's future Digital Village Novkent, where FAO brings IoT smart devices into smallholders’ greenhouses, develops digital literacy, and stimulates innovation.
Welcome and opening remarks by Vladimir Rakhmanin, FAO Assistant Director-General, Regional Representative, and Maximo Torero, FAO Chief Economist
Introducing the Digital Villages Initiative in Europe and Central Asia by Daniela Di Gianantonio, FAO Digital Agriculture Team Leader
Ministerial roundtables where deputy ministers and high-level officials from Albania, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Türkiye, and Uzbekistan will share their vision for promoting the initiative in their respective countries and region:
- Sarvan Jafarov, Deputy Minister of Agriculture of the Republic of Azerbaijan
- Slobodan Cvijanović, Assistant Minister at the Ministry of Foreign Trade and Economic Relations of Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Alisherov Nurdin Kuvanychbekovich, Deputy Minister of Agriculture of the Kyrgyz Republic
- Metin Türker, Director General of Agricultural Research and Policies of the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry of Republic of Türkiye
- Ramin Gasanov Alievich, Director of Investment and Grants Department of the Ministry of Agriculture of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Other high-level representatives from Albania, Tajikistan, and Georgia
- With the moderation of Viorel Gutu, FAO Subregional Coordinator, and Nabil Gangi, FAO Deputy Regional Representative
Experiences from project countries will showcase results, best practices, and achievements in the field of digital agriculture that are providing solid grounds for the implementation of the initiative, with:
- Azerbaijan: Elmaddin Namazov, National Programme Coordinator, FAO Azerbaijan
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: Grujica Vico, National Digital Villages Specialist, FAO Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Georgia: Dragan Angelovski, Technical Adviser, FAO
- Tajikistan: Veronika Sherova, Digital Agriculture Analyst, FAO
- Uzbekistan: Katerina Antanevich, FAO Digital Agriculture Specialist and Sociologist, will join the session live from Novkent village
- Other technical experts showcasing experiences from Albania, Kyrgyzstan, and Türkiye
- Regional experience and moderation - Daniela Di Gianantonio, FAO Digital Agriculture Team Leader
Closing remarks by Dejan Jakovljevic, FAO Chief Information Officer, and Raimund Jehle, FAO Regional Programme Leader
Join us to learn about DVI in the region! Together, we can advance the digitalization of agriculture and rural areas across Europe and Central Asia.