Latest news related to Algeria
As part of the WaPOR 2 project activities in Algeria, a WaPOR concept and validation training workshop was held from 7 to 8 November 2023 at the Algerian National Institute for Agronomic Research in Algiers. The main objective of the workshop was to train managers from the agriculture, water r...
With a surface area of 2,381,741 km2 , Algeria is the largest country in Africa and the ninth largest in the world, with a useful agricultural area of 8.56 million hectares comprising 1.5 million hectares of irrigated land.
Given that the average rainfall is only 68 mm/year and that the renewable water potential is 14.4 billion m3, Algeria is characterised by severe water stress with less than 380 m3/inhab/year.
Faced with this situation of water scarcity, which is exacerbated by climate change and population growth, Algeria is faced with the challenge of producing more agricultural products using less water, which makes the issue of water productivity a crucial element of reflection and decision making for resilient and sustainable agriculture.
The WaPOR project provides an opportunity to address the water scarcity situation in Algeria through the expected outputs of the development of the open access water productivity platform, the strengthening of national technical capacities for precision agriculture and the development of digital solutions for rational water resource management at the farm plot level.
24 November 2021: inception workshop
30 January - 01 February 2023: introductory training on WaPOR data
WaPOR partnerships in Algeria
The implementation is done in collaboration with the members of the project steering committee, namely
- The Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development; the directorates involved are:
- The Directorate of Information Systems, Statistics and Forecasting;
- The Directorate of Agricultural Training, Research and Innovation
- The Directorate of Cooperation;
- The Directorate for the development of rural territories and the adaptation of agriculture to climate change;
- The General Directorate of Forestry
- The National Institute of Agronomic Research of Algeria.
- The National Chamber of Agriculture.
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the National Community Abroad.
- The Ministry of Hydraulics.
- The Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research.
- The National Office of Irrigation and Drainage.
- The National Agency for Integrated Water Resources Management.
- The Algerian Space Agency.
© FAO/Laurent Sazy