SAUDI ARABIA FUNDS-IN-TRUST
REPORT to the GOVERNMENT OF THE KINGDOM OF SAUDI ARABIA
FISHPEN PLANS AND CONSTRUCTION ALONG THE RED SEA COAST OF SAUDI ARABIA FOR THE FISH FARMING CENTRE IN JEDDAH
A report prepared for the Fish Farming Centre Project
FAO Aquaculture Consultant
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
This is one of a series of reports prepared during the course of the project identified on the title page. The conclusions and recommendations given in the report are those considered appropriate at the time of its preparation. They may be modified in the light of further knowledge gained at subsequent stages of the project.
The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this document do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
Hyperlinks to non-FAO Internet sites do not imply any official endorsement of or responsibility for the opinions, ideas, data or products presented at these locations, or guarantee the validity of the information provided. The sole purpose of links to non-FAO sites is to indicate further information available on related topics.
This electronic document has been scanned using optical character recognition (OCR) software. FAO declines all responsibility for any discrepancies that may exist between the present document and its original printed version.
1.2 Terms of Reference
1.3 Organization of the Mission
2. PROJECT DESCRIPTION
2.1 Project Location and Facilities
3. SITE DESCRIPTION
3.1 General Description
3.2 Detailed Description of the Fishpen Site
4. STEPS IN CONSTRUCTING FISHPENS ON A SANDY BOTTOM LAGOON
4.1 Criteria for Site Selection
4.2 Fishpen Design
4.3 Pole Design
4.4 Fishpen Netting
4.5 Pole Installation
4.6 Net Installation
5. COST ESTIMATE OF THE TWO DEMONSTRATION FISHPENS
6.1 Short-Term Questions
6.2 Long-Term Questions - Given in General Priority
Appendix 1 CHRONOLOGY OF MISSION
Appendix 2 PRINCIPAL PERSONS MET DURING THE MISSION
1. Diagram of the shoreline lagoon at the Fish Farming Centre Site, Jeddah
2. Approximate limit of suitable depth (between 1 and 2 m deep) for fishpen at the Fish Farming Centre shoreline
3. Detail design for the two demonstration fishpens
4. The detail design for the two types of poles
5. Steps in constructing a side pole
6. Details of netting
8. Net installation
9. Diagram of installed net
1. Preparation of the bottom part of the pole.
2. Preparation of the top part of the pole.
3. Filling pole with concrete.
4. Filling pole with concrete.
5. Joining the top and the bottom parts of the pole.
6. Fabrication of sinkers.
7. Attaching sinkers to the bottom of the net.
8. Attaching sinkers.