- The feed milling company should be committed to maintaining a quality housekeeping
programme that provides a safe and healthy environment for its employees and
- The intent is to maintain mill properties in a manner that minimizes loss
to persons or property and maximizes product quality assurance.
- Housekeeping is a direct responsibility of all employees, and each should
be held accountable to do the things necessary to implement an effective housekeeping
- Trash should be disposed of or recycled as appropriate.
- Feed and/or ingredient spills should be cleaned up immediately. Spilled
materials should be put in designated, marked containers for proper disposal.
- Fugitive dust points should be investigated, evaluated, and corrective
- Offices, break rooms, and restrooms should be cleaned regularly.
- All employees should keep their work areas clean and orderly.
- All areas of the plant should be cleaned daily.
- Hand tools should be picked up and stored.
- Pallets of bagged products should be stacked neatly and in an orderly way.
Broken bags should be taped and reclaimed as soon as possible.
- All broken windows should be repaired and the building kept tight to deny
access to the mill from birds, rodents or other factors which may adversely
affect the quality of the finished feed.
- Insects and rodents. The plant and warehouse should be baited and fogged
as needed using approved pest control methods. Baits and fumigation should
be done by trained personnel, preferably an approved, licensed pest control
agency. A record should be kept of all pesticides used and the type of applications.