The following results were expected from the workshop:
1. A better understanding of the:
· main concepts, extent, nature and dynamics of the major types of tropical secondary forests in Africa.
· importance and relative roles of different types of secondary forests.
· constraints and opportunities of the management of this resource in Africa.
2. An overview of the policy and management experiences and lessons of different stakeholders.
3. A set of specific recommendations and immediate actions for the promotion, development and wider application of responsible secondary forest management in Africa.
4. Clarity on needs and possibilities for an informal network of organizations and experts on management, research and policy of tropical secondary forests in Africa.
The information gathered will be compiled in the following products: (1) proceedings (publication, CD-ROM), (2) a proposal for action (publication, on website), (3) communication and follow-up plan.