Areas to be strengthened
Policy Planning and Research.
· The establishment of a strong WID Unit in the Ministry of Agriculture, capable of carrying out substantive analysis and action on gender issues in agriculture.
· Clear policies and strategies on the promotion of women's advancement in agriculture.
· Gender-disaggregated data and base-line information on women's contribution to agriculture.
· Increased research on gender issues in agriculture.
· Increased gender-sensitization programmes for policy-makers.
· Reorientation of agricultural extension policies towards greater gender sensitivity and the constraints of small farmers.
Legal and Policy Reform.
· Redress inequality in land rights.
Access to Agricultural Resources and Services.
· Efforts should be made to increase women's access to: appropriate technology to reduce workload, extension and training, improved water supply, alternative energy sources, irrigation, credit, agricultural inputs, and cooperatives and rural associations.
Source: National Sectoral Report on Women, Agriculture and Rural Development, 1994.
Integration of Women in Development
Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Viale delle Terme di Caracalla
00100 Rome, Italy