The library was established in Rome at the 1952 FAO Conference, according to the decisions of the 1950 Conference. It was named David Lubin Memorial Library by the Conference to honour the founder of the International Institute of Agriculture (IIA). The extensive IIA collection formed a solid base for the present-day Library, which is considered one of the world's finest collections in food, agriculture and international development.
Agriculture, Food and Nutrition, Rural Development, Plant Production and Protection, Animal Production and Health, Agricultural Machinery, Agro-industries, Agro-forestry, Forestry, Fisheries, Sustainable Development, Statistics, Agricultural Economics and other related subjects.
The Library has over one million volumes; the journal collection contains approximately 13,000 titles of which 1,450 are electronic. The heavily used working collection consists of FAO documentation, books and serials in FAO subject fields, a reference collection and specialized Library collections in Fisheries and Forestry. The library also includes the IIA Institutional Memory and Rare Books collection.
Electronic Access to Collections
FAO Online Library Catalogue - FAO technical documents since 1945, library monograph holdings since 1976 and a FAO library serial holdings database.
Reference and Information services; Tours and Briefings; Inter-Library Loans; Reproduction of FAO documents.