- Feed millers must recognize their responsibility to provide quality products
to their customers, and their intent should be to provide consistent quality
products by implementing sound quality control procedures.
- Assuring quality is a direct responsibility of all feed mill employees,
and each will be held accountable to follow accepted procedures to implement
effective Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) for the production of manufactured
- Quality aquafeeds can only be made from the use of quality feed ingredient
sources, and not from the use of inferior, spoiled, or otherwise damaged or
contaminated ingredients; the protection of both human and animal health also
being prime considerations in the production of quality cost-effective aquafeeds.
(DMello, 2001; Machin, 2001).
- Training and assistance are vital for both new and experienced employees
in order to handle tasks and solve problems in a manner that assures the manufacture
of consistent high quality feed products. Each mill employee should expend
the effort necessary to implement this program because quality assurance is
vital to the effectiveness of the aquafeeds being manufactured and, thereby,
the companys success.
- It is also the feed millers responsibility to instruct the farmer,
through label instructions and technical literature and instruction, the correct
method of handling and application of the aquafeed for the particular species
and farming system for which it is intended (Davis, 2001).
- The feed manufacturer should be dedicated to its customers and employees
in stating its commitment to good manufacturing practices and carrying out
an on-going programme to improve feed product performance and to minimize
- To the extent practicable the feed manufacturer should work with producers
(farmers) not only to enhance production, but also to improve aquacultural
practices which may have adverse environmental or other impacts (Davis, 2001).