FAO Fisheries Report No. 360 FIPP/R360(En)
SUMMARY OF PROCEEDINGS AND SELECTED PAPERS
Symposium on the Planning and Implementation of Fisheries Management and Development Programmes in Africa
Lusaka, Zambia, 7–11 October 1985
FOOD AND AGRICULTURE ORGANIZATION OF THE UNITED NATIONS
|The designations employed and the presentation of the material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.|
The designations employed and the presentation of material in this publication do not imply the expression of any opinion whatsoever on the part of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations concerning the legal status of any country, territory, city or area or of its authorities, or concerning the delimitation of its frontiers or boundaries.
All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying or otherwise, without the prior permission of the copyright owner. Applications for such permission, with a statement of the purpose and extent of the reproduction, should be addressed to the Director, Publications Division, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Via delle Terme di Caracalla, 00100 Rome, Italy.
PREPARATION OF THIS DOCUMENT
This Report contains the summary of proceedings and selected papers presented at the Symposium on the Planning and Implementation of Fisheries Management and Development Programmes in Africa, held in Lusaka, Zambia, from the 7 to 11 October 1985 in conjunction with the Sixth Session of the Committee for Inland Fisheries of Africa (CIFA). It includes the work of several authors, but certain sections have been edited and adapted to keep the length of the document within reasonable limits and in order to ensure a suitable format and the integration of material. It has been prepared by the staff of the FAO Fisheries Department, as part of FAO's Regular Programme activities.
© FAO 1986
|This document summarizes the proceedings of the Symposium on the Planning and Implementation of Fisheries Management and Development programme in Africa held in Lusaka in October 1985. It contains those basic papers presented at the Symposium which have not been published elsewhere together with selected extracts from papers brought to the Symposium and presented by delegates. In general, the material from the delegates' papers has been selected for its relevance to the central theme of the Symposium. A full list of papers presented is included in Annex 2|
|Distribution||For bibliographic purposes this document should be cited as follows:|
|FAO Fisheries Department|
FAO Regional Officers
Directors of Fisheries
Gaudet, J.L. and D. Parker (eds), 1986 Summary of proceedings and selected papers. Symposium on the planning and implementation of fisheries management and development programmes in Africa. Lusaka, Zambia, 7–11 October 1985. FAO Fish.Rep., (360):155 p.
2. The Structure of the Symposium
3. Summary Report of the Proceedings of the Symposium
4. Summary of Planning Constraints and Priorities in African Fisheries (CIFA/85/Symp.1)
5. Planning for Aquaculture in Africa (CIFA/85/Symp.2)
6. The Fisheries management of Eight African Lakes (CIFA/85/Symp.5)
7. The Effects of the Sahelian Drought on the Fishery of the Central Niger Delta (CIFA/85/Symp.7)
8. Community Participation in Integrated Small-scale Fisheries Projects (CIFA/85/Symp.8)
9. Fisheries in Small Water Bodies: an overview of their potential for supplying animal protein to rural populations in Africa (CIFA/85/Symp.10)
10. Traditional Fishing Rights in the Central Delta of the Niger and the Lake region (CIFA/85/Symp/CP2)
11. Towards Rational Exploitation and Management of the Volta Lake: A typical large tropical reservoir (CIFA/85/Symp/CP.28)
12. Selected material from various country Papers
ANNEX 1 List of Participants
ANNEX 2 List of Papers Presented
ANNEX 3 Symposium Papers Published Elsewhere
N.B. For full titles and details of authorship, see Annex 2 which provides a complete listing of all papers presented at the symposium.