FAO-WFP Joint statement calls for urgent scale up of assistance
FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva said that there was still time to avoid food security crises in the Sahel, during a high level meeting convened by the World Food Programme (WFP) on 15 February 2012 in Rome, to discuss the situation in that region.
Drawing on lessons learned from the Horn of Africa, the Director-General said that we needed to assure that early warning led to early action, that a twin track approach be used to provide critical emergency support and to protect the livelihoods and assets of pastoralists and farmers. He also stressed the need for national governments and regional bodies to lead the efforts to promote food security, with the support of the Rome-based agencies and other humanitarian and development partners.
At the end of the meeting, United Nations agencies, the European Commission and USAID released a joint statement calling for an urgent scale up of humanitarian, rehabilitation and development assistance to address rising levels of hunger and malnutrition caused by the combined effect of drought, high food prices, displacement and conflict affecting the Sahel region of West Africa.
Download FAO Director-general Graziano da Silva's speech.
- The FAO Director-General Jose’ Graziano da Silva visited Tacloban and surrounding areas four months after typhoon Haiyan (known locally as Yolanda) struck the central Philippines. Interacting ...read more
- The FAO Director-General Jose' Graziano da Silva visited Tacloban and surrounding areas four months after Typhoon Haiyan struck the central Philippines.
Interacting with FAO supported small-scale ...read more
- Madagascar is in the grips of a largely uncontrolled locust plague and risks a serious food crisis. A large-scale emergency control campaign urgently requires a minimum ...read more
- In early February 2012, thanks to good rains and a strong multisectoral humanitarian and development effort, we were able to declare an end to famine conditions ...read more
- During a high level visit to Malawi, EU Development Commissioner, Andris Piebalgs, and José Graziano da Silva, Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the ...read more
- Visiting Haitian President Michel Joseph Martelly and FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva today appealed for increased investment in the country in order to build its ...read more
- Food security governance plays a vital role - If countries step up their efforts to reduce hunger, the Millennium Development Goal of halving the proportion of ...read more
- EU Commission President Barroso meets with FAO Director-General - Some 870 million people in the world are undernourished, and more than 2.5 million children die each ...read more
- Calls for partnership in essential areas of policy research and social inclusion - FAO Director-General José Graziano da Silva challenged academics to get involved in essential and ...read more
- FAO chief addresses summit of Portugese-speaking countries in Maputo - Portuguese-speaking countries have found the right approach to tackling the hunger problem - by a combined effort ...read more