Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Emergency recovery support to restart livelihoods, income generation and food self-sufficiency and to build the resilience of small-scale rice- and corn-based farming communities in Leyte province of Region VIII severely affected by Typhoon Haiyan23/07/2015
- Renforcement de la Résilience des populations vulnérables au Niger22/07/2015
- Agricultural assistance to populations affected by the floods in the prefectures of Dinguiraye, Kankan, Kindia, Siguiri and Tougué16/07/2015
- Intervention d’urgence pour protéger les moyens d’existence vitaux et la sécurité alimentaire des familles d’éleveurs pauvres touchés par la crise et la sécheresse en République arabe syrienne16/07/2015
- Restoring food security and improving income generation through the promotion of livestock and crop production in Central African Republic14/07/2015
Connect with us
Increase food production in DPR of Korea
Increase food production through multiplication of seed potato and improve storage facility
Pyongyang, South Pyongan, North Hwanghae, South Hamgyong and South Hwanghae provinces
To safeguard the lives of food-insecure farming families by increasing potato production, strengthening multiplication of seed potato in net houses and improving storage facilities.
Ministry of Agriculture, the Academy of Agriculture Science, farmers from beneficiary cooperative farms.
Ten beneficiary cooperative farms, comprising about 8 000 farming families, in five provinces.
- Constructed ten net houses for multiplication of seed potato.
- Constructed a seed storage facility on each cooperative farm and delivered a total of 1 200 plastic crates for potato storage.
- Developed guidelines on seed multiplication and provided training on seed multiplication and improved storage on each cooperative farm.
- Farmers on all ten cooperative farms stored seed potato in the new facilities for use during the February/March 2013 planting season.
- One hundred potato technicians, engineers and farm mangers were trained on improved seed storage and seed multiplication techniques.
- Some 1 560 guidelines on seed multiplication were distributed in Korean to potato-producing farms and line ministries, while 53 guidelines were distributed in English to international development partners.
- Potato production and the area of land under potato cultivation are expected to increase, helping to alleviate food shortages during the lean season.