Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Regional initiative in support of vulnerable pastoralists and agropastoralists in the Horn of Africa31/03/2015
- Strengthening the FSL Cluster for food and nutrition security in South Sudan24/03/2015
- Strengthening food security coordination for livelihood response and improving food and nutrition security response in South Sudan23/03/2015
- Improving food and nutrition security through increasing access to crop production inputs, technology and services19/03/2015
- Emergency support to improve food security conditions of vulnerable internally displaced households in the Syrian Arab Republic12/03/2015
Connect with us
Increase food production in DPR of Korea
Increase food production through multiplication of seed potato and improve storage facility
Pyongyang, South Pyongan, North Hwanghae, South Hamgyong and South Hwanghae provinces
To safeguard the lives of food-insecure farming families by increasing potato production, strengthening multiplication of seed potato in net houses and improving storage facilities.
Ministry of Agriculture, the Academy of Agriculture Science, farmers from beneficiary cooperative farms.
Ten beneficiary cooperative farms, comprising about 8 000 farming families, in five provinces.
- Constructed ten net houses for multiplication of seed potato.
- Constructed a seed storage facility on each cooperative farm and delivered a total of 1 200 plastic crates for potato storage.
- Developed guidelines on seed multiplication and provided training on seed multiplication and improved storage on each cooperative farm.
- Farmers on all ten cooperative farms stored seed potato in the new facilities for use during the February/March 2013 planting season.
- One hundred potato technicians, engineers and farm mangers were trained on improved seed storage and seed multiplication techniques.
- Some 1 560 guidelines on seed multiplication were distributed in Korean to potato-producing farms and line ministries, while 53 guidelines were distributed in English to international development partners.
- Potato production and the area of land under potato cultivation are expected to increase, helping to alleviate food shortages during the lean season.