Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- FAO Resilience Programme in Somalia30/05/2016
- FAO technical support to the COMESA-EAC-SADC Programme on Climate Change Adaptation and Mitigation in the Eastern and Southern Africa Region18/05/2016
- Emergency livelihood support to crisis-affected populations in South Sudan13/05/2016
- Assistance d’urgence en santé animale aux petits éleveurs touchés par les inondations en Serbie13/05/2016
- Appui agricole en faveur des ménages affectés par la malnutrition et l'insécurité alimentaire en République Démocratique du Congo13/05/2016
Connect with us
Emergency supply of maize seeds to drought-affected farmers in Tanzania (Phase III)
Emergency supply of maize seeds to drought-affected farmers in Tanzania / Third phase Disaster Response and Preparedness to Drought
To improve the food security of drought-affected farming households in 34 districts in Tanzania.
The Ministry of Agriculture, Food Security and Cooperatives; local government authorities; Adventist Development and Relief; Tanzania Official Seed Certification Institute.
Provided seed to 255 298 households.
- The project distributed seed to 255 298 households; 50 percent of the targeted households were female-headed and 20 percent were child-headed.
- During phase three, 5 000 households in five regions received a vegetable kit and 2 000 beneficiaries received cassava cuttings.
- Trained 42 District and Village Extension Officers on farmer field school methods and conservation agriculture.
- The voucher scheme targeted 1 200 beneficiaries entitled to procure various inputs, ranging from cereal and vegetable seeds to tools and equipment worth TZS 160 000 (approximately USD 100).
- Input trade fairs provided a unique forum for enhancing capacities through information and experience sharing.
- The provision of vegetable seed will boost the nutrition security of beneficiaries, as well as generate a high income for the recipient households.
- Farmer field school training will help to spread good agricultural practices throughout the targeted districts.