Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Mise en place d'un stock stratégique d'intrants agricoles et de parc à bois et de lianes de patate douce en République Démocratique du Congo21/04/2015
- Scaling up of root and tuber crops diversification in 15 woredas of Amhara, Oromia, SNNPR and Tigray Regions of Ethiopia16/04/2015
- Strengthening the resilience and improving the food and nutrition security of displaced populations and host communities by restoring their agricultural production in Mali15/04/2015
- Appui à la production alimentaire d’urgence en faveur de 7 000 ménages malnutris et en insécurité alimentaire en territoire de Niangara, district de Haut Uélé (Province Orientale) 15/04/2015
- Drought Recovery Response in Ethiopia14/04/2015
Connect with us
Humanitarian assistance for urgent provision of essential agricultural inputs for returning IDPs in Sri Lanka
Humanitarian assistance for urgent provision of essential agricultural inputs for returning IDPs in the north
To prevent the deterioration of household nutritional status in the return areas of Sri Lanka through the immediate resumption of farming activities.
The Provincial Department of Agriculture, Department of Animal Production and Health Sector partners.
19 887 returnee farming households.
- Provision of paddy and other field crop (OFC) seeds, vegetable seed kits, coconut seedlings, toolkits, barbed wire and water pumps.
- Integration of FAO vegetable seed kits as part of non-food item (NFI) kits provided by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to returnee families, comprising basic household supplies and agricultural tools.
- Production of certified seeds (e.g. green gram and black) and their distribution for Maha 2010/11 planting.
- Agriculture-based livelihoods of 19 887 returnee farmers restored and strengthened during the Yala 2010 and Maha 2010/11 planting seasons.
- 19 887 farmers received vegetable seed kits as part of UNHCR’s standard NFI kit, enabling FAO to help more returnees resume home gardening.
- 1 721 farmers harvested paddy and 2 027 farmers harvested OFC (550 green gram, 654 black gram and 823 gingelly) during the Yala 2010 season.
- 234 farmers harvested OFC (206 green gram and 28 black gram) under the project’s seed production component, for cultivation during the Maha 2010/11 season.
- 125 farmers cultivated coconut seedlings in their home gardens and 1 800 households are using tool packages provided.
- 1 250 households received barbed wire rolls to protect their crops from stray cattle.
- 561 farmers each received a water pump in time for the Yala planting season.
- Mobility of extension services improved to meet the immediate needs of farmers.