Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Soutien à la reconstitution de la capacité de production des ménages vulnérables au Burkina Faso
- Aide d’urgence à la production agricole en appui aux familles vulnérables affectées par le tremblement de terre du janvier 2010 en Haïti
- Tsunami livelihood recovery project in Somalia
- Livelihood disaster risk reduction options for the Zambezi River Basin
Connect with us
Support to coordination of food security and agriculture emergency preparedness and response in Afghanistan
Support to coordination of food security and agriculture emergency preparedness and response
To enable FAO and the World Food Programme (WFP) to provide systematic support to Food Security and Agriculture Cluster (FSAC) partners at national and regional levels on the broad aspects of emergency response and preparedness.
Ministry of Agriculture, Irrigation and Livestock; Afghanistan National Disaster Management Authority; Islamic Relief; other national and international Non-governmental Organizations (NGOs).
Member and observer agencies of FSAC in Afghanistan working in food security and agriculture and/or humanitarian response, including United Nations agencies, international and national NGOs, Government bodies, donors and research institutes.
- Organized weekly or biweekly meetings between FAO, WFP and the NGO co-chair (Islamic Relief) to agree on priorities and guide the action of the Cluster Coordinator.
- Facilitated 38 coordination meetings at national and regional levels, gathering 999 food security stakeholders.
- Conducted additional meetings with FSAC partners to: establish and review tools for the Seasonal Food Security Assessment; develop early warning updates for Cluster members; and collect information about partners’ disaster risk reduction (DRR) activities, strategies, work plans, policies and evaluation reports.
- Shared information via the FSAC mailing list to more than 150 organizations working on food security and agriculture.
- Conducted a detailed gender survey, mapping FSAC stakeholders’ practices with regard to the mainstreaming/inclusion of gender in food security programming.
- Developed a report of innovative approaches on cash transfer programming in Afghanistan, as well as a Web site to promote interaction among Cash- and Voucher-based Interventions Working Group members and collect and share good practices.
- Built the capacity of humanitarian actors to improve programming, food security analysis and coordination of activities in food security and agriculture.
- Enhanced the effectiveness of FSAC as an operational coordination mechanism and platform for promoting quality programming.
- Strengthened a common platform for evidence-based food security assessment analysis.
- Successfully linked emergency preparedness and response to an effective food security monitoring and early warning system, and strengthened the linkages between emergency response and DRR initiatives.