Search project highlights
Latest Project Highlights
- Emergency support to protect agriculture-based livelihoods of vulnerable households in Burkina Faso
- Activités de production alimentaire domestique d'urgence dans les zones urbaines vulnérables et marginalisées dans la bande de Gaza
- Fortalecimiento de la capacidad de recuperación de las poblaciones desplazadas y receptoras de la región de Mopti en Malí
- Projet de relèvement et de relance économique dans la province du Maniema. Projet conjoint PNUD/FAO pour la Stratégie ISSSS, en appui au STAREC
Connect with us
Promotion of home gardens for enhanced food and nutrition security in Lao People's Democratic Republic
Promotion of home gardens for enhanced food and nutrition security in northern uplands areas affected by multiple natural hazards
Ten villages in Na Le and Viengphoukha Districts of Luang Namtha Province
To improve household food and nutrition security in vulnerable communities by diversifying home food production and giving access to resilient food storage facilities.
Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (through the Provincial Agriculture and Forestry Office and District Agriculture and Forestry Offices); and national civil society organizations.
271 farming households
- Distributed 13 varieties of vegetable seeds, 22 types of agricultural tools and roofing sheets and nets to 257 farming households.
- Distributed nine types of agricultural tools to three secondary schools to promote school gardens.
- Trained 271 farmers on home gardening, sustainable agriculture techniques, production of bio-fertilizers and pest management.
- Conducted a study trip for ten farmers to learn about sustainable home gardening.
- Facilitated farmer-to-farmer exchanges for beneficiaries in both districts to visit model home gardens.
- Facilitated the establishment of home gardens and improved food storage facilities.
- Enabled beneficiaries to produce vegetables for their own consumption and for sale at village level and in district markets.
- Improved sharing of knowledge on home gardening and the use of organic farming techniques for vegetable cultivation through exchange visits and the study trip.
- Enabled beneficiaries (through training) to produce bio-fertilizers for their vegetable gardens using existing local raw materials.
- Contributed to increased food production, improved food and nutrition security and reduced malnutrition in remote, rural uplands.