- 28/02/2014 - The worsening of the food security situation in the Near East is not only caused by the structural constraints the region faces in producing enough food and an increasing dependence ...read more
- 10/07/2009 - FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The ...read more
- 25/06/2009 - High food insecurity persists in Zimbabwe in spite of improvements in agricultural production and a more liberal import policy this year, according to a report issued today by FAO and the World ...read more
- 24/06/2009 - An international Red Locust emergency campaign in Eastern and Southern Africa has succeeded in containing a massive locust outbreak in Tanzania, FAO said today. It is the first time that ...read more
- 19/06/2009 - World hunger is projected to reach a historic high in 2009 with 1 020 million people going hungry every day, according to new estimates published by FAO today.
The most recent ...read more
- 17/06/2009 - Because food is a basic necessity, the agriculture sector is showing more resilience to the global economic crisis than other industries. But the risks could increase if the economic downturn ...read more
- 28/05/2009 - Myanmar sign $5.2 million programme to boost long-term food security - A three-year Italian-funded FAO programme to improve the long-term food security of 32 000 poor fishing and farming families in ...read more
- 15/05/2009 - Europe remains firmly committed to help poor countries boost agricultural production, FAO said today, welcoming a historic €106 million ($144 million) donation from the European Union in support of farmers hardest ...read more
- 07/05/2009 - Following the disastrous 2005 earthquake in Pakistan, several humanitarian organizations came forward to help households who had lost their livestock to rebuild herds and flocks by providing replacement animals. But ...read more
- 30/04/2009 - With WHO raising its pandemic alert level from 4 to 5, countries worldwide are being urged to take adequate precautionary measures against the newly found A/H1N1 virus, and to be ...read more
- 27/04/2009 - The FAO-OIE Crisis Management Centre – Animal Health is mobilizing a team of experts to assist government efforts to protect the pig sector from the novel H1N1 virus by confirming ...read more