- 19/08/2014 - 19 August marks the anniversary of the bombing of the United Nations headquarters in Baghdad, in which 22 people lost their lives. In 2008, the UN General Assembly designated this ...read more
- 23/12/2008 - Following the detection of the Ebola-Reston virus in pigs in the Philippines, FAO, the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) and the World Health Organization (WHO) announced today that the ...read more
- 22/12/2008 - Farmers, experts and development partners agree that training and capacity building are urgently needed to support efforts for improved rural production and raising livelihoods of families affected by the May ...read more
- 09/12/2008 - Another 40 million people have been pushed into hunger this year primarily due to higher food prices, according to preliminary estimates published by FAO today. This brings the overall number ...read more
- 08/12/2008 - Around 40 percent of the population of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), an estimated 8.7 million people, mostly young children, pregnant and nursing women and the elderly, will ...read more
- 02/12/2008 - Ocean warming, frequent tropical cyclones, flash floods and droughts are likely to have a devastating impact on food production systems in Pacific island countries, FAO warned today.
Climate change-related disasters are already ...read more
- 13/11/2008 - After years of massive crop losses caused by a devastating virus, farmers are harvesting healthy cassava - one of Africa's principal foodstuffs - throughout the Great Lakes region, FAO announced ...read more
- 12/11/2008 - Representatives of major wheat producing countries have called for urgent coordinated action to prevent and control the wheat stem rust disease strain Ug99, FAO said today. The fungus is capable of ...read more
- 11/11/2008 - The United States will provide an additional USD 44.4 million in support of FAO's avian influenza control and prevention campaign, FAO announced today. With the new funding from the United States ...read more
- 27/10/2008 - Communities in Haiti suffering severe food insecurity are to be assisted by a US$10.2 million package which will quickly boost Haiti’s battered agriculture sector.
The funds come at a time when ...read more
- 16/10/2008 - FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today called for a political and financial push to boost sustainable agriculture in the world’s poor countries, double global food production and free the world of ...read more