- Food insecurity in the Lake Chad basin23/06/2016
- FAO concludes its Earthquake Response Programme in Nepal23/06/2016
- Norway boosts support for crisis-affected farmers, fisherfolk and herders in South Sudan22/06/2016
- Severe food insecurity widespread in Yemen21/06/2016
- Nordic diplomats, FAO explore partnership opportunities in drought-affected Afar region, Ethiopia17/06/2016
Connect with us
Miriam Makeba visits rape survivors in DR Congo
FAO Goodwill Ambassador says support for women crucial to nation’s improvement amid fragile peace - Singer and activist Miriam Makeba says women survivors of sexual violence in the Democratic Republic of the Congo face a “triple tragedy” of physical, psychological and social damage, undermining the country’s attempts to improve living conditions.
Makeba, who is on a four-day visit to Kinshasa in her role as FAO Goodwill Ambassador, is planning to tour small farming projects designed to help rape survivors feed their families and increase self-reliance. The women have received FAO-donated seeds, tools and agricultural training.