- CERF loan facilitates rapid scaling up of FAO’s response in Somalia21/03/2017
- Reinforcing control efforts amid outbreak of avian influenza in China17/03/2017
- Yemen’s suffering is the world’s largest humanitarian crisis today15/03/2017
- IGAD and FAO building field capacity for resilience08/03/2017
- Empowering women in the Yemeni dairy sector 08/03/2017
Connect with us
European leagues and football stars against hunger
963 million human beings are currently suffering from hunger worldwide. This dramatic trend must be reversed. The Association of European Professional Football Leagues (EPFL) and its 29 members and associate Members have joined forces with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) in battling starvation.
The weekend of 20-22 March 2009, for the “Match Day against Hunger”, hundreds of professional football matches across Europe will be dedicated to raising awareness about this growing problem. Several initiatives, including “Professional Football Against Hunger” banners, t-shirts worn by the players entering the field and screenings of videos about FAO TeleFood projects will see the stadiums of the European Professional Football Leagues at the centre of this awareness campaign.