- FAO delivers emergency livelihood kits to flood-affected farmers in Zambézia and Sofala provinces21/05/2015
- Italy provides EUR 400 000 to help earthquake-affected farmers in Nepal20/05/2015
- FAO Representative meets with Ebola survivors in Sierra Leone19/05/2015
- Ambassador of Thailand and FAO officials visit Sindhupalchok18/05/2015
- Julita Bonongwe: hope after the floods in Malawi15/05/2015
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.