- CERF loan facilitates rapid scaling up of FAO’s response in Somalia21/03/2017
- Reinforcing control efforts amid outbreak of avian influenza in China17/03/2017
- Yemen’s suffering is the world’s largest humanitarian crisis today15/03/2017
- IGAD and FAO building field capacity for resilience08/03/2017
- Empowering women in the Yemeni dairy sector 08/03/2017
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.