- New Global Partnership for Preparedness launched24/05/2016
- Agriculture sector key to protecting livelihoods, addressing conflict and climate change risks23/05/2016
- A new paradigm for boosting the impact of humanitarian responses to food crises23/05/2016
- Rebuilding resilient communities after conflict and disaster in northern Rakhine12/05/2016
- Sowing seeds for change in the Central African Republic - INFOGRAPHIC07/05/2016
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.