- Philippines takes first steps towards a national DRR strategy for agriculture04/05/2015
- Locust control in Madagascar – up to the last breath04/05/2015
- Nepal Earthquake’s impact on food security and agriculture likely very high30/04/2015
- Reviving agricultural production in areas affected by the Ebola outbreak in Guinea30/04/2015
- Somalia registers record exports of 5 million livestock in 201429/04/2015
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.