- Experts call for robust surveillance and coordinated approaches in tackling Fall armyworm infestation26/04/2017
- FAO Director-General calls for urgent action to avoid famine in Yemen25/04/2017
- Fall armyworm spreads to East Africa25/04/2017
- FAO Council focuses on famine and famine risks24/04/2017
- Hunger and lack of rural development at the basis of the Lake Chad Basin crisis11/04/2017
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.