- FAO supports long-term recovery in Nepal through local farmers’ cooperatives 22/08/2016
- FAO earthquake emergency response helps empower women farmers in Nepal22/08/2016
- Latest analysis shows an alarming rise in food insecurity in northeast Nigeria19/08/2016
- Rekindling hope in northeast Nigeria 19/08/2016
- Ethiopia has staved off worst of El Niño, but possible impacts of La Niña looming large12/08/2016
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.