- Famine in South Sudan: a joint FAO/UNICEF/WFP statement21/02/2017
- Famine declared in parts of South Sudan20/02/2017
- Urgent assistance needed to prevent a catastrophe in Yemen as food crisis worsens10/02/2017
- The productive transfers /CASH+ approach in the Sahel: empowering women in southern Mauritania10/02/2017
- Revitalizing local trade in Abyei 09/02/2017
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.