- Launch of the Platform of analysis and measurement of population resilience in the Sahel and West Africa02/05/2016
- Urgent action needed to help Ethiopia’s farmers produce food in main cropping season29/04/2016
- North Korea’s food production falls for first time since 2010 as water scarcity hits agricultural sector27/04/2016
- Investment in early warning – early actions reaps massive reward against El Niño flood threats26/04/2016
- Drones help farmers in the Philippines prepare for climate disasters25/04/2016
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.