- Food insecurity in the Lake Chad basin23/06/2016
- FAO concludes its Earthquake Response Programme in Nepal23/06/2016
- Norway boosts support for crisis-affected farmers, fisherfolk and herders in South Sudan22/06/2016
- Severe food insecurity widespread in Yemen21/06/2016
- Nordic diplomats, FAO explore partnership opportunities in drought-affected Afar region, Ethiopia17/06/2016
Connect with us
FAO welcomes G8 Food Security Initiative
FAO Director-General Jacques Diouf today welcomed the G8’s USD 20 billion Food Security Initiative as an encouraging policy shift in favour of the poor and hungry.
Addressing the G8, Diouf said “The L’Aquila Joint Statement on Global Food Security signals a welcome and encouraging shift of policy in favour of helping the poor and hungry to produce their own food.” This is what FAO had been preaching for years without success, Diouf noted.
The G8 meeting agreed to mobilize USD 20 billion over three years for a comprehensive strategy focussing on sustainable agricultural development.