- EU provides FAO with funds to address deteriorating food security situation in Yemen11/01/2017
- Demining and repair initiative restores key irrigation canals farmland near Mosul22/12/2016
- Returning to cropping brings great rewards in northeastern Nigeria22/12/2016
- New and continued drought in the Horn of Africa threatens livelihoods and food security20/12/2016
- Ongoing conflicts continue to intensify food insecurity09/12/2016
Connect with us
Food Crisis looms in Sudan regions
FAO calls for urgent action, funds - Urgent action is needed to prevent a looming humanitarian and food crisis in two strife-affected regions on the border between Sudan and the newly-independent nation of South Sudan, FAO warned today.
Food availability in Blue Nile and South Kordofan is forecast to be significantly reduced following renewed fighting between government troops and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N), which has disrupted the major crop season.
The fighting has coincided with the region’s lean season when household food stocks are already at their lowest. At least 235 000 people in both areas need help.