- Emerging drought threatens pastoralist livelihoods in southern Ethiopia17/01/2017
- EU provides FAO with funds to address deteriorating food security situation in Yemen11/01/2017
- Demining and repair initiative restores key irrigation canals farmland near Mosul22/12/2016
- Returning to cropping brings great rewards in northeastern Nigeria22/12/2016
- New and continued drought in the Horn of Africa threatens livelihoods and food security20/12/2016
Connect with us
African nations discuss creation of an African food security trust fund
FAO to help draft details of proposal - The creation of an African-funded trust fund to support food security in the continent was discussed at FAO’s Regional Conference for Africa, held last week in Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo. Complementing international resource mobilization, the Africa Trust Fund would raise resources in the continent to fight hunger and would also allow for the scaling up of successful activities to prevent and respond to food and agriculture crises in the region.
In support of the proposal, civil society organizations attending the Regional Conference made a symbolic donation to the trust fund. FAO will engage in countries-led consultations in order to draft a detailed proposal for approval by participating member countries.