- Zika: FAO Director-General says agency is ready to contribute to international efforts09/02/2016
- Somalia continues to face large-scale food insecurity compounded by poor rainfall and drought08/02/2016
- UN agencies warn of escalating food crisis in South Sudan08/02/2016
- Myanmar floods six months on: agricultural livelihoods still buried in the mud05/02/2016
- Support for agriculture in Syria critical with massive food insecurity adding to suffering04/02/2016
Connect with us
African nations discuss creation of an African food security trust fund
FAO to help draft details of proposal - The creation of an African-funded trust fund to support food security in the continent was discussed at FAO’s Regional Conference for Africa, held last week in Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo. Complementing international resource mobilization, the Africa Trust Fund would raise resources in the continent to fight hunger and would also allow for the scaling up of successful activities to prevent and respond to food and agriculture crises in the region.
In support of the proposal, civil society organizations attending the Regional Conference made a symbolic donation to the trust fund. FAO will engage in countries-led consultations in order to draft a detailed proposal for approval by participating member countries.