- Belgian-FAO support to El Niño-affected pastoralists in Somali Region of Ethiopia strengthens livestock-based livelihoods26/05/2016
- FAO seeds increase the availability of fresh vegetables in conflict-hit Akobo26/05/2016
- UN agencies provide seeds, tools and food to break hunger cycle in the Central African Republic25/05/2016
- Building resilience to enable vulnerable people cope with natural disasters and pandemic threats25/05/2016
- New Global Partnership for Preparedness launched24/05/2016
Connect with us
African nations discuss creation of an African food security trust fund
FAO to help draft details of proposal - The creation of an African-funded trust fund to support food security in the continent was discussed at FAO’s Regional Conference for Africa, held last week in Brazzaville, Republic of the Congo. Complementing international resource mobilization, the Africa Trust Fund would raise resources in the continent to fight hunger and would also allow for the scaling up of successful activities to prevent and respond to food and agriculture crises in the region.
In support of the proposal, civil society organizations attending the Regional Conference made a symbolic donation to the trust fund. FAO will engage in countries-led consultations in order to draft a detailed proposal for approval by participating member countries.