Start: 10:00 GMT(+2)
Established in 1963 by FAO and WHO and comprising 187 countries and the European Union, the Codex Alimentarius Commission (CAC) is the UN food standards body charged with protecting consumer health and ensuring fair practices in international food trade.
The 39th annual meeting of CAC will discuss new international standards on topics including:
- Control of non-typhoidal Salmonella spp. in beef and pork meat
- Nutrient reference values for labelling purposes in the guidelines on nutrition labelling
- Standards on the safety of food additives, pesticide residues in food, and arsenic levels in rice
- Revision of Codex General Principles of Food Hygiene and its HACCP Annex
- Future work of the Commission on antimicrobial resistance
Delegates and members will also learn which countries will be the first beneficiaries of the new Codex Trust Fund which will help countries build their capacity to engage effectively in the work of Codex.
About FAO webcast
The FAO webcast page provides live transmissions of events held at FAO headquarters.
(The interpretation of proceedings serves to facilitate communication and does not constitute an authentic or verbatim record of the proceedings. Only the original speech is authentic)