Gender transformative approaches for food security, improved nutrition and sustainable agriculture – A compendium of fifteen good practices
The Compendium is a product of the Joint Programme on Gender Transformative Approaches for Food Security and Nutrition implemented by FAO, IFAD and WFP and funded by the European Union. The compendium of 15 good practices of gender transformative approaches (GTAs) includes the individual templates...
Women’s empowerment through collective action: How forest and farm producer organisations can make a difference
Half of the 1.5 billion people globally who rely on forest landscapes for subsistence and cash income are women. Many see the benefits of participating in various forest and farm producer organisations (FFPOs). These include both general community, smallholder farmer and indigenous people’s...
In Africa, women are critical agents of change in the fight against rural poverty, hunger and malnutrition. They are the backbone of their households, communities, and rural economies covering important roles in food production, processing and marketing, and also in the nutrition of the family...
Webinar: Women's Economic Empowerment in Agriculture
The Global Donor Platform invites you to a webinar on the topic of Women's Economic Empowerment in Agriculture, featuring presentations by Global Affairs Canada, FAO, EC and Gender and Rural Livelihoods Specialist Clare Bishop. The webinar will take place on 13 September 15:00 CEST.
The event will provide an opportunity to discuss donor strategies that contribute to accelerating women's empowerment and share instruments that support gender transformative agendas.
The language used will be English.
The following items will be discussed:
- Opportunities for the gender transformative agenda
Women's Economic Empowerment and Agribusiness (a Global Donor Platform study)
- Donor developments: a feminist approach to international assistance
Canada's new international assistance policy
Reflection on the prior discussants approaches using insights from the experience of FAO
To join the webinar, please follow the steps below:
- Please click on the following link: http://bit.ly/2xxwyur
- If required, click on “run a temporary application”
- If requested, enter your first and last name and email address.
- If required, enter the meeting password: 1111
- Click "Join"
The main objective of this study is to generate knowledge and make meaningful, evidence-based and actionable recommendations to governments and other stakeholders, particularly international organizations and FAO staff, on the nexus between supporting food and nutrition security, building peace and...
There is a knowledge gap on the extent to which donor-supported agribusiness initiatives engage with the gender transformative agenda. The Global Donor Platform for Rural Development commissioned a study focusing on Women's Economic Empowerment (WEE) in agribusiness initiatives under the gender work...
Leaving No One Behind: Achieving Gender Equality for Food Security, Nutrition and Sustainable Agriculture
12:30 - 14:30 Rome time, FAO Headquarters.
This Special Event will provide government representatives, UN entities, civil society and the private sector and other stakeholders with a platform to share experiences in accelerating progress towards gender equality and rural women’s empowerment. It will highlight forward-looking strategies and partnerships in the fight against hunger, malnutrition and extreme poverty.
Rural women play an important role in agriculture and rural development, and make a strong contribution to food security and nutrition at household and community levels. Worldwide, there is an increasing recognition that rural women must be at the centre of any intervention to promote sustainable agriculture and eradicate food insecurity and poverty. The 2030 Agenda envisages a future in which no one is left behind, where achieving gender equality and empowering women is an absolute precondition to break the cycle of poverty and hunger, and to achieve the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The event can be followed on webcast: http://www.fao.org/webcast
José Graziano da Silva, Director-General of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
Presentation on FAO’s technical work on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment
Kostas Stamoulis, Assistant Director-General, Economic and Social Development Department, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, FAO
- His Excellency Hugo Martinez, Minister of Foreign Affairs of El Salvador
- Her Excellency Néziha Labidi, Minister of Women and Family Affairs of Tunisia
- Her Excellency Fatimata Dia Sow, Commissioner for Social Affairs and Gender of ECOWAS
- His Excellency Ty Sokhun, Secretary of State, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Cambodia
- His Excellency Ali Recep Nazli, General Director of Foreign Relations and EU Coordination of Ministry of Food Agriculture and Livestock of Turkey
- Haowa Bello, CEO and Founder of Madame Coquette - Beneficiary of the Youth Employment in Agriculture Programme
- Jessica Vega Ortega, Coordinator of the Yani Tundavii Dikuintií Collective of the Network of Young Indigenous Peoples of Latin America, Focal Point for the Global Indigenous Youth Caucus
Questions and answers