Greenhouse gas emissions database and analysis
The Climate, Energy and Land Tenure Division and the Statistics Division jointly developed and maintain a global database of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from agriculture, including crop, livestock, forestry and fisheries production, land use change and energy use.
The new FAOSTAT Emissions database uses activity data officially reported by countries to FAO, applying default (Tier 1) methodology developed by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to estimate GHG emissions from 1961 to present (agriculture) or 1990 onwards (forestry and other land use). The result is a country-specific database with global coverage, methodologically consistent and automatically updated in conjunction with FAOSTAT and the Global Forest Resource Assessment (FRA) data updates.
The Emissions -Agriculture domain contains emission estimates of the following GHG sources:
- Enteric fermentation, methane from the microbial processes that takes place in the digestive systems of ruminants and to a lesser extent non-ruminants;
- Manure management, methane and nitrogen oxide from the decomposition of manure in storage and disposal systems;
- Rice cultivation, methane from the anaerobic decomposition of organic matter in paddy fields;
- Agriculture soils, nitrous oxide emissions linked to:
- Synthetic fertilizers, from the application of synthetic fertilizers;
- Manure applied to soils, from animal manure applied to soils;
- Manure left on pasture, from animal manure left on pasture;
- Crop residues, from crop residues returned to soils;
- Cultivation of organic soils, nitrous oxide from cultivation of histosols under cropland and grassland;
- Burning – Crop residues, methane and nitrogen oxide from the combustion of crop residues;
- Burning – Savanna, methane and nitrogen oxide from combustion of savanna biomass;
- Energy use, carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide from fuel burning and electricity generation for use in agriculture and fisheries.
The Emissions -Land Use contains emissions and removals estimates of the following GHG sources and sinks:
- Forest land, carbon dioxide emissions/removals from forest land and net forest conversion;
- Cropland, carbon dioxide emissions from cultivation of histosols under cropland;
- Grassland, carbon dioxide emissions from cultivation of histosols under grassland;
- Burning biomass, carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide emissions from various land cover classes;