Training Course on Agriculture, Innovation, and Technology
The livelihoods of the world’s poor rise and fall with the fate of agriculture. Enhancing the ability of smallholders to connect with the knowledge, networks, and institutions necessary to improve their productivity, food security, and employment opportunities is a fundamental development challenge. Where once rural areas were largely disconnected from the greater world, today, networks of information and communication technologies (ICTs) enmesh the globe and represent a transformational opportunity for rural populations, both as producers and consumers. However, realizing this opportunity requires a long-term commitment to mobilizing appropriate resources and expertise.
This training programme is designed to support practitioners, decision-makers, and development partners who work at the intersection of ICT and agriculture. Our hope is that it becomes a practical guide in understanding current trends, implementing appropriate interventions, and evaluating the impact of those programs.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
This course is intended for various actors in the Agriculture Extension (Agricultural extension officers, senior agricultural officials and policy makers) working with communities, in governments, funding agencies, Research organizations and non-government organizations among others for Agriculture support activities and other Development programmes.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Gain basic skills in ICT in agriculture.
- Appreciate the need for ICT integration in agribusiness development.
- Understand current trends in ICTs as they pertain to agriculture and the contributions that ICT can make to enhance agricultural strategies and their implementation.
- Design, implement, and evaluate appropriate and sustainable ICT components of agricultural projects.
- Build effective public and private partnerships to promote ICT access and innovation for agriculture.
- Include ICT in policy dialogue and planning with country counterparts on agricultural and rural development goals and priorities.
- Understand the application of ICT in farm production, inventory management, and marketing and in extension services.
- Gain knowledge on gender equitable skills in ICT development in agriculture which is a major player towards rural development.