CTA Project 'Eyes in the Sky, Smart Techs on the ground' showcased
The Technical Centre for Agricultural and Rural Co-operation (CTAs) project, ‘Transforming Africa’s Agriculture: Eyes in the Sky, Smart Techs on the Ground” was this week showcased at FAO headquarters in Rome, at the IFAD Governing Council Meeting. Besides the stand display, there was a presentation on the last day where drones for agriculture were presented.
This project was nominated for the WSIS Prizes 2019, category AL C7 – E-agriculture, whose voting is underway at the time of writing.
About the project
CTA is assisting African start-ups in acquiring capacity to deliver Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) services to smallholder farmers.
Three components of the projects
- Capacity building and business operationalization
- Research studies and evaluation
- Exchange of experiences, networking, marketing communication and media production
The project help young entrepreneurs to uses and pilot drones as well as on-farm data acquisition and processing.
- Capacity building meetings
- Face-to-face interactions to enable valuable information exchange – and workshops were held in Ghana, Rwanda and Uganda.
In 2019 it is estimated that 16,000 farmers will benefit from actionable advice and also more young people have been recruited.
More information here