Aligning policies to boost rice production and exports in Mali
Rice farmers in Mali receive prices that are lower than international reference prices. MAFAP analysis suggests that the following measures would improve production incentives for producers:
• ensuring that short-term policies aimed at keeping prices affordable for consumers do not contradict long-term policies aimed at boosting production;
• defining policy objectives more clearly and communicating them to producers and consumers in a transparent way;
• improving infrastructure to lower transport costs, especially between the farm-gate and wholesale markets;
• eliminating illicit costs; and
• providing regular and transparent price information to consumers and producers.
Permanent HTML link