Espa˝ol || Franšais
      AQUASTAT Home        About AQUASTAT     FAO Water    Statistics at FAO

Featured products

Main Database
Dams
Global map of irrigation areas
Irrigation water use
Water and gender
Climate info tool
Institutions

Geographical entities

Countries, regions, river basins

Themes

Water resources
Water uses
Irrigation and drainage
Wastewater
Institutional framework
Other themes

Information type

Datasets
Publications
Summary tables
Maps and spatial data
Glossary

Info for the media

Did you know...?
Visualizations and infographics
SDG Target 6.4
KWIP
UNW Briefs
     

Read the full profile

Fiji

Irrigation and drainage

Evolution of irrigation development

In 1998, the area equipped for irrigation was equal to 3 000 ha. In 2003, it was estimated at 4 000 ha, of which 90 percent was irrigated by surface water and the remaining 10 percent by groundwater (Table 4 and Figure 2). Of this area of 4 000 ha, around 3 000 ha or 75 percent is dedicated to rice. The remaining 1 000 ha or 25 percent are upland crops, the majority of which are irrigated by sprinkler systems using both surface water and groundwater resources (Table 4 and Figure 3). It is estimated that all the area equipped for irrigation is actually irrigated.





Role of irrigation in agricultural production, economy and society

According to the Ministry of Agriculture (MoA), there is no need to increase the existing rice production areas in Fiji for the country to become self-sufficient in rice. It can be reached through the rehabilitation of existing irrigation systems (MoA, 2014).

In 2014, MoA initiated a project in the Nadroga and Navosa province that should boost potato production in Fiji. The project covers about 64 ha (Chaudhary, 2015).

     
   
   
             

^ go to top ^

       Quote as: FAO. 2016. AQUASTAT website. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO). Website accessed on [yyyy/mm/dd].
      © FAO, 2016   |   Questions or feedback?    [email protected]
       Your access to AQUASTAT and use of any of its information or data is subject to the terms and conditions laid down in the User Agreement.