Open Foris: Free open-source solutions for environmental monitoring
OpenForis is a free open-source software for environmental monitoring. It consist in a set of free and open-source software tools that facilitates flexible and efficient data collection, analysis and reporting.
Open Foris includes:
- Collect: Easy and flexible survey design and data management
- Collect Mobile: Intuitive data collection and validation in the field
- Collect Earth: Innovative land assessment through freely available satellite imagery
- Calc: Efficient and collaborative data analysis and results dissemination
- Geospatial Toolkit: Powerful command-line utilities for processing geospatial data
Government, research institutions and NGOs can use these tools for a wide range of monitoring purposes such as forest inventories, climate change reporting, socio-economic surveys, biodiversity assessment, land use and forestry measurement and deforestation monitoring with remote sensing.
The initiative is a collaborative effort of numerous public and private institutions and it is hosted by the Forestry Department of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO).