Report on the Building a Framework for Digital Innovation in Agriculture WSIS Session
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) sponsored the WSIS Forum Session entitled, ‘Building a Framework for Digital Innovation in Agriculture’ under the WSIS Action Line C7-ICT Applications (e-Agriculture).
The session advocated for the enhancement of digital innovation for the poorest within agriculture through developing a framework of application to support them. Digital innovation and ICTs have a great potential to transform the approach in 17 SDGs, yet within FAO scope also particularly 1, 2, 8, and 13.
Mr. James AzevedoGorgen, from the digital innovation team in FAO facilitated this meeting, which had remote participation announced on the e-Agriculture platform, had also ITU participation stakeholders in E-Agriculture present at WSIS 2018
- The meeting was informed on how FAO is building a framework for digital innovation in agriculture. This include the FAO work in the development of mobile apps and other innovations to help communities to eradicate poverty and malnutrition.
- Furthermore, FAO is supporting the development of National E-Agriculture Strategy (through the guide) in FAO member countries, which has been implemented in 6 countries already.
The following presentations were held :-
- A Framework for Digital Innovation in Agriculture by Laura Bordin (Frog)
- Share Knowledge through Audio Technology by Cliff Schmidt (AMPLIO)
- A system Approach for Digital Transformation of the Agriculture Sector: The case for a Common Digital Agriculture Platform by ITU ICT Coordinator .
Read the session published summary here